Saturday, November 1, 2008

Biking in Picket Wire


It was a glorious day so we decided to sneak one one more day in the outdoors. The bikes were loaded and off we went to the Dinosaur Tracks near La Junta. 13 years ago we were exploring with 12 year old Robben in tow. Her maiden voyage on her grown up bike which she still has today. Well the ride down into the canyon has deteriorated. Instead of a nice smooth road, the path is small with lots of rocks and boulders. Needless to say, I walked most of it trying to keep myself and the bike from going over the side. Once in the bottom, most of the trail is pretty mellow with a few challenges. We managed to have 3 flat tires with Lynn crashing once on a steep incline. A couple of skinned places and a bruised ego was the damage. I had 2 of the flat tires cause I was close to out of control going down a small rocky hill. We had to ford the Purgatoire river past our knees to get to the tracks. I don't remember hardly any water the last time we were there. It had rained a lot so the tracks had mud in them so they didn't look as spectacular. Alosaurus and Brontosaurus had meandered along the side of the prehistoric lake before the canyon was formed. Going back up was rough with me walking my bike again with many timeouts. Lynn did ride part of the way up. He's my Popeye. Great Time.

No comments: